Charlotte has clearly been taking style tips from Taylor Swift with that red pout…
Baby’s first lipstick in a perfect shade of beet red… Which also coincides with Charlotte’s first taste of beets & potatoes.
Beet & Potato Mash Recipe
1 lb red beets (this amounted to one decent sized beet for me)
1 russet potato
1) preheat oven to 375 deg F
2) wash beet then put beet in a baking dish (I used a glass dish) and add water so it comes up about a half inch
3) cover baking dish with tin foil
4) use a fork to pierce potato
5) put potato on baking sheet (I lined mine with tin foil because I’m lazy and it reduces clean up)
6) stick the baking sheet (potato) and the baking dish (beet) in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes (I set my timer for 50 minutes, but was putting C down for a nap when the timer went off. I probably had it in there for 60 minutes. Potato was a bit dry, but it wasn’t a big deal.)
7) remove from oven once nice and tender. Let cool a bit.
8) peel the skin off of both the potato and beet
9) chop the potato and put it in the blender with enough liquid to get to desired consistency (I used coconut milk and water, but you can use breastmilk, too)
10) chop the beet and put it in the blender with enough liquid to get to desired consistency (I used reserved liquid from baking, but you can use water or breastmilk)
11) If you’re into “plating” your baby’s food all fancy-like, you can swirl the beet and potato. It looks awesome (according to the photo in my recipe book)… But who has time or energy for that? I just mixed the two together and voila!
12) freeze leftovers in cubes for up to 3 months
Ps: I wasn’t the biggest fan of the coconut milk in the potatoes. They got sticky. But, all in all, it was delicious. Remember, beets stain!