My friend Carrie, who is also pregnant, has her 19 week ultrasound tomorrow, at which point she will hopefully find out the sex of her baby. This has obviously gotten me thinking about my own little nugget. Will I have a sweet little girl or an adventurous little boy? My mom is convinced (already) that it’s a boy.
I looked online and found some fun old wives tales about determining the sex of the baby, so obviously, I had to test some of them out…
- If you’re carrying high, it’s a girl. If you’re carrying low, it’s a boy. Seeing how I’m not carrying much at this point, I can’t play this game yet.
- Typically girly girls have a faster heart beat, SO, they say that if the heartbeat is 140 beats or more per minute, it’s a girl. Anything less is a boy. Our little chick-a-dee’s heart rate was 124. First sign leading to a boy.
- Those craving ice cream and sweets every day are said to be having a girl. Those who want the sour and salt are said to be having a boy. I haven’t had any overwhelming cravings, but I have been leaning towards sweeter… vanilla cappuccino, sweet pickles… I think when I crave, it’s usually sweet. But I haven’t been to crave crazy either way. We’ll give a point to a girl for that one.
- The old ancient Chinese birth chart. I tried it here with a conception month of September AND October, just to be safe, and both said I’m having a girl! My Chinese horoscope is always right, so that’s one point for a girl!
- Okay, this one is super weird. You’re supposed to pee in a cup and mix 1 tablespoon of Drain-o in… if it turns green, it’s a girl! If it turns blue, you’re having a boy. Being that I’m at work on my lunch break, I’ll probably have to hold off on this one.
- Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby’s sex by looking at the mother’s age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one’s even and one’s odd, it’s a boy. I conceived at 28 in 2013… another point for a boy!
- This is hard to test on yourself, but it’s based on whether you pick up a key by the narrow or the round part. I think I’m a round part kinda girl, which points towards a boy in this odd old wives tale.
- If you’re breaking out a lot, it’s supposedly from your girl trying to steal your beauty. I’m not 100% sure how to measure this, but I have consistently had at least one zit taking over my face at all times. So, I’ll give that point to a girly.
- The wedding ring test… you have to take your ring off, tie it to a string (or your headphones cord if you’re at work) and if it moves in a circle, it’s a boy… if it moves back and forth, it’s a girl. I quickly tested this one twice at my desk and both times that ring swayed back and forth, pointing to a girl once again.
- Horribly sick during the first trimester means you’re having a girl and feeling healthy as ever means you’ve got a boy in there. While I haven’t thrown up at all, I’ve spent at least a few hours most days feeling like I was going to be sick. I don’t have anything to measure this against, but I think that leans towards a girl, right?
Okay, time to tally up the results…
So, weighing all of these, it looks like I’ve got a little girl in me… however, the only one that appears to be remotely scientific – the heart rate measurement – leans towards a boy. Sheesh. Guess I need to go home and pull out the drain-o. That will solve this mystery!
Mornings and evenings (post-dinner) have been a bit uneasy lately. Last night I literally felt incapable of digesting anything. Thankfully, the feeling passed after about an hour or so. Other than that, I’m still totally zonked. We didn’t get much sleep last night and with dinners with friends tonight and tomorrow, I’m guessing we won’t be catching up on sleep then, either. At least it’s hump day… that means only two more days until the weekend. AND, Friday afternoon, my friend at work and our boss will be ditching out early to go see the new Hunger Games movie. So, I can’t complain too much.